Tuesday, February 28, 2012

"To maintain a joyful family requires much from both the parents and the children.  Each member of the family has to become, in a special way, the servant of the others."  Pope John Paul II

AHA!  I think I've just figured out the answer to all the problems in our house!  I'm the only servant!

All kidding aside, because I have the greatest respect for Pope John Paul, I completely understand what he meant.  We should all serve and help each other to be a well-functioning family.  Just try explaining that to a 15 year old who sees chores as a punishment.  Or a 13 year old who's tired of helping with her little brothers (who can blame her).  Or telling an 8 year old who has shared everything with his brothers since the womb, to share his new toy with his brothers.

I know my kids don't understand now, but this is one of the main reasons I bring them to church.  I want them to know that we serve something greater than ourselves, or even each other.  That it is our responsibility while we're on God's good earth to make it a better place and live our lives as honest, respectable people.   I especially want them to know how important it is to cherish your family and to always support each other.

Religion is a difficult thing for a young child to grasp.  My little guys are preparing for their first holy communion, so I'm glad they've been asking questions for the past few years.  Things like "why does Jesus where those flipflops?"  And "is there a mailbox in heaven so you can write letters to people after they die?"  Now they are anticipating receiving the "holy cracker" in the spring.

Next, I hope to teach them to "do unto others as you would have them do unto you".  Wonder how that will go...

No comments:

Post a Comment