Saturday, February 4, 2012

Ugg! There's a mouse in my boot!

One morning last winter, as I was walking back from putting the triplets on the school bus, I could see my 12 year old daughter jumping up and down in the driveway, screaming like a lunatic.  Turns out when she stuck her foot in her Ugg, she felt something inside, so she REACHED IN pulled out a mouse!  She and the mouse ran in two different directions, one more terrified than the other.  I nearly had to slap her out of her hysteria, before finally convincing her that the best place for her to be was in school so I could get Daddy home to catch the mouse.

We stopped at the nurse's office so she could use the bathroom to wash the tears off her face.  "Girl problems?" asked the nurse.  "No, a mouse in her boot."  "How AWFUL, tell her she can stop in my office any time she wants today."

On my way out, I called the hubby, who said he would drop off some sticky traps for me, but he had to hurry back to work.  I don't even kill spiders, so I was not happy with the idea of catching a mouse on a glue pad, and was pretty sure I'd never catch it anyway.  What would I do if I hadn't caught it by the end of the school day?  We'd have to sleep in a hotel for the night.

I laid the traps all around the first floor of our house,  hoping that it hadn't made it upstairs to her bedroom yet.  Sure enough, within a half hour I could her the sound of it trying to free it's little feet from the glue.  It was still early morning, what the hell was I supposed to do now? 

As luck would have it, a guy from the water company was coming to do some work in our basement that day.  When he got to the door, I greeted him with, "please, you've gotta help me get rid of this thing."  "What is it, m'aam?"  "Come in and I'll explain."  Reluctantly, the poor guy came inside, probably thinking I was going to ask him to help me dispose of a body, so he seemed kind of relieved to find it was just a mouse.  He was the sweetest young man, taking the mouse with him when he left.

I like to think he took him to the woods and set him free, but I can't be sure.  What I do know for sure is that I wrote a glowing letter to his company, full of praise for him going above and beyond his job to help me that day!

2 comments:

  1. In case you are wondering, it was a few weeks before she wore the boots again. First they had to be thoroughly Lysol-ed. Then whenever she wanted to wear them, I had to turn them upside down first, shake them out, then put my own hand inside to prove there were no mice living in them. She never loved those Uggs quite the same way again!

    ReplyDelete